In the realm of higher education in Nigeria, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) stands as a beacon of academic excellence, renowned for its impactful research and contributions to the nation’s development. Among its illustrious schools, the School of Nursing shines as a hub for producing top-tier nurses shaping the healthcare sector.
Admission into the OAU School of Nursing is a coveted opportunity, demanding candidates to meet stringent criteria. A pivotal factor in the selection process is the cut-off mark, set at 200 in the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). This marks the baseline, emphasizing the competitive nature of the admissions process.
Beyond the cut-off mark, prospective students must fulfill additional requirements:
1. O’level Results:
- Candidates must secure five credits in pertinent subjects, including Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry, achieved in not more than two sittings.
- Acceptable examination bodies include the West African Examination Council (WAEC), the National Examination Council (NECO), or the General Certificate of Education (GCE).
2. Age Requirement:
- Candidates should be a minimum of 16 years old at the time of admission into the School of Nursing.
- Physical and mental well-being is imperative, with candidates required to have no history of contagious diseases.
- Candidates must exhibit commendable character and behavior, validated by referees.
The Admission Process:
a. JAMB UTME:
- Candidates must sit for the UTME and achieve a minimum score of 200, with relevant subjects aligned with their chosen course of study.
b. Post UTME Screening:
- Participation in the OAU School of Nursing Post UTME screening exercise is mandatory, where candidates must attain the prescribed minimum marks.
- Successful candidates meeting the outlined requirements will be invited for an interview, a crucial step to assess their suitability for the nursing profession.
It’s essential to note that meeting these stringent requirements doesn’t guarantee admission into the OAU School of Nursing, underlining the institution’s commitment to maintaining high standards in producing qualified and competent healthcare professionals.
Embarking on this journey to join the OAU School of Nursing reflects a commitment to excellence, as aspiring nurses undergo a rigorous selection process that emphasizes both academic prowess and personal attributes essential for success in the healthcare field. The OAU School of Nursing stands as a gateway to a fulfilling and impactful career in nursing, shaping the future of healthcare in Nigeria and beyond.