54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Non-Infectious Diseases Medical Laboratory Scientist
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Laboratory Operations
Reports to: VP, Laboratory Operations
- We are seeking highly-motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our team in the 54gene Infectious disease laboratory.
- Candidates must be willing to join a fast-paced environment, be willing to learn quickly, adapt to new environments and must have a keen interest in research related activities. We welcome applications from non-Nigerian candidates as well.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory procedures following SOP’s, including DNA/RNA/protein extraction from biological samples, RT-PCR, qPCR, QF-PCR and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) assays.
- Maintain accurate laboratory records on the LIMS.
- Participate in training programmes relevant to laboratory practices.
- Present experimental data at team meetings on a regular basis.
- Evaluate new technologies to enhance or complement current research.
Weekly / Monthly Tasks:
- Preparation of reagents, media & stains as required.
- General supervision and cleaning of laboratory equipment including, but not limited to fridges, centrifuges, and sequencing instruments.
- Ensure that services are provided in an accurate, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
- Maintaining data security and strict privacy with patient laboratory records.
- Assist in reviews and revising of non-infectious disease SOPS and Policies.
- Assist in resolving technical and interpretative issues.
- Maintain and update professional knowledge and take responsibility for continuing professional development.
- Participate in departmental goal setting and strategy building.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Laboratory Science (Minimum 2nd class honours upper division).
- Must have a valid license to practice in Nigeria.
- Masters in any of the laboratory sciences is an added advantage.
- Up to 2 years of genetics/genomics research/molecular biology/general laboratory experience.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Proficient in usage of Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- Experience with viral/ bacterial sequencing assays or instruments (e.g., iSeq 100, NextSeq 550 DX).
- Knowledge of SNP genotyping is also an added advantage.
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- The duties stated are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required.
- Other related duties may be assigned within scope of ability.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Equal Opportunity Employer: 54gene celebrates diversity and is proud to be an inclusive employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, marital status, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a mental or physical disability, or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristics.