54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Summer Intern, Genomics and Data Science
Employment Type: Contract
Job Description / Requirements
- Are you passionate about increasing the representation of diversity in genomics? Come join the Genomics and Data Science group at 54Gene. Our mission is to deliver on the promise of precision medicine for African populations and to use genomic insights to benefit populations across the globe.
- We are looking for enthusiastic and engaged undergrad, masters or PhD students to fill several internship positions, commencing June 2021. The positions will be 8 week paid internships and will provide successful applicants with valuable experience with some of the key tools and concepts around the processing, analysis and interpretation of genomic sequence and genotyping array data.
- We are seeking candidates with strong analytical skills, some programming experience (e.g. C++/Python), and experience with at least one statistical software package (e.g. R). Familiarity with *nix environments, basic bioinformatics techniques, and concepts in data science is preferred. Familiarity with GWAS and statistical genetics would also be preferred.
Potential Projects Include:
- Population genetics of genetic groups in Nigeria, including machine learning based approaches to classification of ancestry and quantification of admixture
- Genome-wide and phenome-wide association studies
- Rare variant annotation and interpretation
- Implementation and application of best-practices pipelines for alignment and genotyping of whole-genome sequence data
- Design of cloud-based pipelines to QC and process genotyping array data
- Imputation of genotyping arrays into an African whole-genome sequence reference.
- The positions will be 8 week paid internships and will provide successful applicants with valuable experience with some of the key tools and concepts around the processing, analysis and interpretation of genomic sequence and genotyping array data.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Equal Opportunity Employer
- 54gene celebrates diversity and is proud to be an inclusive employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, marital status, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a mental or physical disability, or any other applicable legally protected status or characteristics.