Carbon is a pan-African digital bank with a mission to provide friction-free finance to its customers. Carbon promises to play a fundamental role in its customers’ lives wherever they are, with flexible solutions. We pride ourselves on our efficiency and with just $10mm of equity raised in 2015, we have disbursed over $100m in loans and earned more than $30mm in revenue over the last 2 years. Carbon has operations in Ghana, Kenya, and Nigeria, supported by a talented team spread between Lagos, Nairobi, London, Argentina, and Palo Alto so we operate with a remote-first mindset.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head, Compliance Audit & Control
Employment Type: Full Time
- This role will coordinate the control, audit, and investigation activities of the Unit to provide independent, objective assurance and audit advisory services designed to add value to the operations of the company.
- The candidate will support the Unit Head to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of the risk management, control, and governance processes of all departments, including certifying their alignment with established global audit standards and best practices.
- Coordinate annual entity-wide risk assessment and develop a comprehensive internal audit plan for the Company for execution within a 12-month cycle as approved by the Audit Committee.
- Perform risk-based financial, operational, and compliance audits following the approved audit plan and ensure implementation of efficient processes for documenting and implementing all audit-related initiatives, activities, and recommendations.
- Drive team members to engage in rigorous audits that embed data analytics and value-adding recommendations that dovetail with issuing quality audit reports that meet stakeholders’ expectations.
- Ensure internal audit reports are promptly issued to EXCO for approval and circularised to relevant stakeholders.
- Maintain and continuously update audit programs/checklists for all audits while ensuring that relevant audit documentation is adequately maintained.
- Leverage information technology to automate routine control checks and provide a platform for robust data analytics to provide insights to management on risk and control
- Effective follow-up with Auditees for resolution of all outstanding weighty exceptions and open items, uncollected revenues, and Management Letters raised during audits and by external auditors, respectively.
- Determines adequacy of controls over specific activities as well as ensures that adequate controls are put in place to mitigate risks in the Bank’s processes.
- Coordinate forensic audits and revenue assurance and quality assurance programs to ensure all earnable revenues of the company are properly accounted for and to ensure all revenue leakages are blocked.
- Investigate, as may be necessary all cases of fraud, embezzlements, and defalcations within the Company. Work in cooperation with law enforcement agencies in any such cases as deemed necessary regarding recoveries, control remediation, and employee sanctioning.
- Evaluate new laws and regulations and stay abreast of all legislative and regulatory developments both locally and globally that might have an impact on the Company.
- Establishes appropriate control frameworks to maintain accuracy, integrity, and reliability of financial records to prevent misstatements and frauds and safeguard the Bank’s assets.
- Provide leadership using good interpersonal, problem solving, motivation, coaching, and good mentoring skills to enhance team performance.
- Conduct periodic performance appraisal sessions with direct reports in line with stipulated career and performance management policies and procedures.
- Perform special audits on an ad-hoc basis as required by the Unit head, Management, or Audit Committee.
- B.Sc. Degree in any field
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a supervisory role in the Internal Control/Audit function. Experience in I.T control and audit is advantageous.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of risk identification, assessment, and management frameworks.
- Strong knowledge of control frameworks (such as the COSO framework and Basel Corporate Governance Principles) and the ability to design and evaluate the effectiveness of controls embedded within business processes.
- Strong knowledge of accounting and internal control principles, operational risk evaluation, and governance frameworks in financial institutions
- Thorough knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory requirements as well as the ability to translate these into appropriate policies and procedures
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Detailed knowledge of principles of banking processes, procedures, and policy
- Detailed understanding of risk, credit analysis, and principles of lending and credit operations
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to use these skills practically in developing workflows, capacity planning, business process design implementation, and optimization
- Ability to plan & prepare the strategy and annual budget requirements
- Ability to manage projects and when required, supervise auditors to follow sound internal control practices to manage risks appropriately
- Ability to adapt and meet deadlines on assignments, juggle multiple demands, and work with all types of individuals up to and including the CEO and the Board.
At Carbon, we are:
- Passionate: We love what we do and have an ownership mentality.
- Resourceful: We make do with what we have. Not wasteful
- Intelligent: We are forever learning to better ourselves, constantly experiencing & testing to understand the problem space better
- Maverick: We try the unconventional, question widely held assumptions.
- Executors: We get shit done. No excuses
- Data-Driven: Rigorous in using data for decision, experiments to test assumptions and hypothesis.
At Carbon, People are the heart of the business, so we prioritize their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including but not limited to:
- A great and upbeat work environment populated by a multinational team.
- Potential to work in different geographies.
- Health Insurance.
- Life Insurance
- Career development & Growth.
- We offer a remote working option.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Call with People team
- Case Study ( Assessment) / Technical interview
- Interview with the Founders.