The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Compliance Assistant Nigeria
Job Identification: 843
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Category: Assistant
Job Schedule: Full time
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures & assist to the development of NRC Nigeria compliance approaches, SoPs and standards.
- Support for the preparation for Yearly & Donor Audits and for the implementation of Audit recommendations by all concerns.
- Run standard check to ensure that all relevant supporting documents are available in quality manner for all transactions and have complete audit trail.
- Provide support to ensure proper filing of documentation as per defined SoPs for Securing Supporting Documentation initiatives (SSDi)
- Assist in performing internal compliance check duties.
- Assist to conduct quality check to make sure NRC & donor regulations are followed for all transactions under review including of finance, purchases, recruitment, payments etc.
- Assist to ensure that all financial transactions are coded with the correct Donor, account, activity and location codes as per standard chart of account.
- Assist to ensure that all vendors are vetted through Watchdog prior to payment.
- Assist to conduct spot checks for compliance and adherence to NRC and Donor guidelines
- Support in ensuring proper audit trails are established for all procurement and financial documents.
- Assist in ensure that all financial documents are clearly stamped with Donor codes, paid stamp before archiving.
- Support in ensuring that NRC Nigeria is complying to all donor regulations in each transaction and highlight up in the line if something is not followed properly
- Support in ensuring that program/ beneficiaries data correspond with financial and logistic reports
- Support ensuring that Procurement, warehouse and Finance document backup system is in place and backup is being done for all documents as per NRC/Donor policies.
- Maintain filing record of Compliance & risk Unit
- Assist in coordination with Area offices/field offices to complete the compliance review work effectively and efficiently.
- Support in “Securing Supporting Documentation” (SSDi) in line with duties assigned by line manager
- Follow up on any other duties as assigned by line manager.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are as follows:
- Compliance and Risk Coordinator
- Support and programme team (at CO, AO and FO)
- Vendors, Tax authorities, auditors
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Have relevant qualification for example bachelor degree in accounting, business administration or equivalent – any other professional qualification like ACA will be preferable.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in a Support Function of a humanitarian/recovery context-including 1 year preferably with an audit firm.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of English
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Good skills in Excel and Word
- Good knowledge of accounting packages; preferably Agresso
- Good knowledge to initiate and use different SOPs
- Good knowledge of the Nigeria country context.
Application Closing Date
12:33 PM, 20th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online