African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Agro Industry Officer, Agriculture and Agroindustry Department, AHAI1
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50091782
The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex Supports in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”. The complex comprises four departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; and (iv) Water, Human and Social Development.
The Hiring Department / Division:
- The Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department provides support for the delivery of the Bank’s Feed Africa Strategy for Agricultural Transformation in Africa, 2016-2025. The strategy aims to end hunger and rural poverty in the next decade through self-sufficiency in 15 priority commodity value chains specific to the continent’s agro-ecological zones.
- Realizing the objectives set forth in the strategy requires increased productivity; value addition; investment in infrastructure; an enabling agribusiness environment; capital flows; and inclusivity, sustainability and effective nutrition.
- The Department Supports the effort to transform African agricultural systems for greater competitiveness, inclusivity and sustainability, and for enhanced job creation and poverty reduction.
- The Chief Agro Industry Officer will provide technical support to the development and implementation of projects under the Feed Africa Strategy. The incumbent will mainly focus on the following Flagships and Initiatives: Postharvest Loss and Agro Processing (PHAP), Food Safety and Quality Initiatives; while supporting other Flagships such as, Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation for the Savannah (TAAT-S), Livestock, Fisheries, ENABLE Youth, Digital Agriculture, Staple Crop Processing Zones (SAPZs), etc. The incumbent will also be charged with orchestrating the development of agro-industrial clusters and corridors of Feed Africa value chains.
- He / she will work across technical, geographic and institutional boundaries to support the delivery of development solutions for a diverse set of clients in the rural (and urban) space and in the public and private sectors in line with the Agricultural development, Agribusiness and Agro-Industry agenda of the AfDB Group. Using a value-chain approach, the incumbent support the implementation of this agenda in Regional Member Countries (RMCs), with specific focus on providing technical input for the design, and supervision of projects which:
- Promote value chain development, value addition and primary and secondary processing of crops and livestock;
- Catalyze private sector entry and growth in African agribusiness;
- Promotes agri-SME growth and the commercialization of agriculture, particularly addressing access to finance needs
- Creates farm to fork market linkages;
- Facilitates the development of agro-poles and agro-processing hubs;
- Supports the development of an agribusiness enabling environment, and;
- Invests in hard infrastructure (including roads, markets and irrigation), soft infrastructure (human capital, i.e., trained potential employees, ICT, etc.), and enabling policies and reforms, for transformation of African agriculture into viable, profitable businesses.
- The principal Agribusiness development Officer will need to work closely with private sector experts at the Bank to scale up investments in agribusiness and will design and coordinate the delivery of client solutions and all project management aspects of the deployment of such solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Manager, Agribusiness / Agricultural Value Chains Division of the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department and working closely with other Managers in the Agriculture and Agro-Industry Department, in the Agriculture Finance and Rural Development Department, with the Directors General and other Directors, and with external stakeholders, the Chief Agro Industry Officers’ roles include but not limited to:
- Promotes agro-industrial development across the continent in the context of the Feed Africa Strategy.
- Supports the design of agro-industrial clusters / corridors in the regional member countries, with reference to establishment of agricultural SMEs, agro industries, cottage industries and addressing post-harvest losses (PHL) issues.
- Orchestrates business development initiatives across the continent towards developing pipeline of profitable and competitive agricultural value chains in RMCs towards export promotion and import substitution regime.
- Coordinates the formulation of Public and Private Partnerships (PPP) in agricultural value chains and Special Agro-Industrial Zone (SAPZ) development.
- Provides sector expertise to the Regional Hubs of the Bank on agro-industrial development.
- Collaborates with the private sectors in the RMCs to develop country and regional agriculture value chains that integrates input supply, agricultural production, harvesting, transportation, storage, marketing and distribution (including export) for greater value addition, improved quality, reduced postharvest losses and reliability of product supply to consumers (Agro-Industry / Value addition).
- Coordinates studies and analyze them within the framework of the Feed Africa Strategy to identify bankable projects, industries, policies and priorities.
- Conduct Economic and Sector Work (ESW) that will guide and support both public and private sector investments in agricultural value chains (agricultural policy).
- Coordinates and undertakes sector and policy dialogues with both public and private sector officials on agro-industry and cluster development at continental, regional and country levels.
- Facilitates the development of coherent programmatic approaches on agro-industrial development in line with the Bank’s agenda, based on identified needs, priorities and demands of Regional Member Countries.
- Lead in designing and recommending technical services to increase the quality and sustainability of agricultural infrastructure projects intended to scale up production, processing and postharvest handling of agricultural commodities (Agro-industrial parks and corridors development).
- Coordinates support to Bureau of Standards in RMCs, regional and continental bodies to ensure the quality and standards of products meet export, regional and international standards.
- Supports borrowers and project executing agencies in the understanding and applications of Bank’s rules of procedures (loan administration and disbursement procedures, including replenishment of revolving funds, and procurement of goods and services).
- Leads field missions to supervise project implementation and follow up on Bank financed sector studies, monitor procurement and disbursement applications and reporting systems to ensure that these are consistent with Bank’s rules of procedures.
- Coordinates the production of project completion reports (PCRs), monitor and produce portfolio performance reports for assigned projects, and produce supervision mission reports and summaries;
- Supports Task Managers to identify / predict technical constraints that militate against smooth project implementation and advise on appropriate remedial actions.
- Lead in preparing and reviewing reports and documents in the subject matter as requested by senior management.
- At least, an MSc. degree in Food Technology, Food Science and Technology, Nutrition, Engineering, Agribusiness / Agriculture, Agro Industry or related field. Possession of a Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of seven (7) years (at least 5 of which must have been at a Development Bank/multi-lateral development institution) of relevant and broad professional experience in agro industry development, post-harvest losses reduction, linkage with the private sector, project formulation, preparation, appraisal and management, with broad interest in agriculture and water management issues.
- Demonstrable experience in leading teams and mentoring colleagues in professional and organizational matters.
- Broad knowledge of agricultural commodity value chains, especially in target commodities / operations promoted in the Feed Africa Strategy.
- Operational experience in most regional member countries across Africa, including states in transition.
- Ability to communicate effectively in either English Language or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Operational Effectiveness: The commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Innovation & Creativity: The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the bank and its clients.
- Demonstrates Professional Expertise: Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems / technology. Shares knowledge and expertise with others.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Ability to apply innovative approaches; work in teams, analyse and summarize; good interpersonal, communication and project management skills; demonstrable attention to details, result-oriented and client service orientation.
- Good mastery of standard computer applications (Microsoft office package) with knowledge of SAP as a plus.
- Team Working & Relationship Management: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team, sharing knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information & Notice
- This position is classified as international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.
- Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and / or a screenshot showing the problem, to HR Direct via: HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
- To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.