African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Division Manager – Editorial and Media Relations (PCER1)
Position Number: 50092362
Location: Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL2
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST); Independent Development Evaluation Department (IDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Security Unit (PSEC); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat (PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Department of Communication and External Relations (PCER) develops and implements all aspects of the African Development Bank’s internal and external communication strategy. It promotes, projects and protects the Bank’s institutional reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution and a global thought leader by showcasing institutional accomplishments, projects, beneficiary impact, and the Bank’s critical role in Africa’s economic and social development.
- The team creatively develops relevant information, editorial and creative content for the Bank’s website and intranet, digital media, social media, multimedia, branding, media releases, publications, and events; provides senior management with advisories on reputational issues; and strategically provides all internal and external stakeholders with an understanding of how the Bank is Making a Difference.
- The Editorial and Media Relations Division supports and implements the department’s internal and external communication goals and objectives by overseeing, developing, planning, preparing, and supporting institutional communication and information. This includes editorial content for digital and print publications, media advisories and releases, the Bank’s website and Intranet, social media, and stakeholder engagement teams.
- The Division strategically provides internal and external stakeholders with timely and relevant information and content, and an understanding of the Bank’s role, activities, impact.
- The overall goal of the Editorial and Media Relations Division is to strategically and creatively enhance the Bank’s visibility.
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Director of Communication and External Relations (PCER) and in close collaboration with other Division Managers, the Editorial and Media Relations Manager guides, actively leads and has responsibility for media relations, communication releases for staff and the media, the day-to-day development, planning and distribution of relevant editorial content across multimedia and communication platforms, active contribution for social media, stakeholder engagement activities and effective branding for the Bank.
Manage Editorial Content and Media Relations:
- Oversee day- to-day development and production of timely, relevant and engaging editorial content and information related to the Bank’s activities, announcements, projects/development impact, and the Bank’s knowledge and business events.
- Support the development and publication of editorial content for internal and external communication platforms including the Bank’s website, Intranet, digital screens, social media, digital and print publications.
- The incumbent serves as the resident senior editor responsible for ensuring the accuracy and quality of all departmental editorial content.
- Develop strategic relationships with domestic, regional and global media influencers.
- Monitor and analyze media coverage of the Bank’s activities and initiatives, promptly advising the Communication and External Relations Director on emerging media issues or potential risks and suggest appropriate responses.
- Organize relevant media-engagement and management training for senior management.
- Develop regular and innovative pitches to position the Bank in top-tier media through articles, interviews, Op-Eds, feature stories, visits and projects.
Manage Editorial and Media Relations team:
- Manage and motivate staff and teams in order to provide efficient and high-quality services
- Set realistic staff and individual performance goals.
- Provide project updates, logistical recommendations, and manage client relationships.
- Work closely and collaboratively on a day-to-day basis with other Divisional Managers and staff to promote teamwork and achieve departmental goals and objectives.
- Promote and facilitate relationships with complexes, departments, country and regional offices.
- Maintain high standards of professional integrity and respect in a multi-cultural environment.
- Provide Director of Communication with executive level weekly and monthly reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Support and implement internal and external communication strategies:
- Work closely and collaboratively on a day-to-day basis with the Director of Communication, other Division Managers and staff to achieve communication effectiveness, a collaborative team spirit and positive bank-wide client relationships.
- Actively develop editorial content for website, intranet, social media and mobile apps.
- Actively support website, Intranet and social media content providers to ensure editorial accuracy and high standards of communication excellence.
- Oversee the production and development of relevant digital and print publications, with support from other PCER Divisional Managers.
- Work closely with complexes and departments including but not limited to Cabinet, SVP, HR, Corporate IT Services (CHIS), and regional and country offices to ensure editorial accuracy and high standards of communication.
- Support and implement relevant Bank-wide internal and external communication strategies that meet and align with organizational objectives and needs. Measure the effectiveness of internal and external communication messages and channels and provide recommendations to review and amend strategies as appropriate8. Provide guidance to internal clients and help translate ideas into effective messages.
- Liaise with the Bank’s other departments to ensure there is consistency and sharing of best practice and avoid duplication of effort.
- Oversee internal communication responses to crisis situations, advising and working with relevant stakeholders to ensure the situation is effectively managed.
Promote a robust, dynamic, informed and responsible press and media in Africa:
- Support the development a robust, dynamic, responsible and informed press and media in Africa.
- Organise forums, workshops, policy dialogues and capacity building sessions to promote regional economic and social development, public interest in and an understanding of the Bank’s policies, programmes, projects and impact.
- Facilitate media access to public information
Promote regional and global media participation in key bank events:
- Ensuring branding is aligned with the Bank’s strategy and effectively promotes the Bank’s profile.
Competencies (Skills, Experience, and Knowledge)
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree in Communication, Broadcasting, Journalism, Public Relations, Development Studies, Business, or a related field.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of proven and relevant stakeholder engagement, communication and media experience (4 years of which must have been in a managerial position) with a corporate, non-profit or multilateral development organization, with demonstrated performance excellence, creativity, and stability; as well as a sustained commitment in previous position(s).
- Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills; ability to provide clear/concise presentations in English and French.
- A portfolio showcasing professional writing competence with excellent digital production and social media skills.
- Strong management skills with the ability to inspire and drive change.
- Exceptional attention to detail with a track record of results delivery, innovation and excellence.
- Excellent client-orientation that anticipates needs and ensures best possible service and practice.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong editorial judgement and decision making based upon a clear understanding of the Bank’s strategy and communication objectives.
- Effective planning and organisation skills to multitask and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality, professional integrity, and respect in a multicultural environment.
- Competence in the use of media monitoring software and standard Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Application Closing Date
29th October, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online